As a CPG founder or brand owner, understanding modern consumer trends is key to launching successful new products. As the consumer landscape continues to evolve, so do the trends and behaviors that define it. To stay on top of these developments and ensure your products remain competitive, brands must understand the different consumer groups and their preferences. In this series of blog posts, we will explore how contemporary consumer trends are influencing decision-making in the marketplace and provide insights into how brands can leverage them to their advantage. We’ll look at different aspects of the market, from socio-demographics to purchasing habits, to give you a taster so that your brand can stay ahead of the curve.
One trend that has emerged in recent years is that of the mindful rejuvenators which is a growing demographic that is beginning to dominate modern consumer trends driven by hyper-fatigue. This is a consumer who is constantly busy, stressed, and tired and is looking for products that can help them keep up with their busy lives. Having experienced the negative effects of stress, overconsumption and fatigue they are now seeking out products and services that help them feel refreshed and rejuvenated. In this blog post, we will explore this trend from a consumer insights perspective and provide examples of relevant food and beverage products that can appeal to this consumer segment.
The Mindful Rejuvenators
These days, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and exhausted. Hyper-fatigue is a product of our fast-paced society. Consumers are juggling work, family, and personal obligations, and they often feel like they don’t have enough time in the day. In recent years, this has become increasingly common because of the prevalence of technology overload, stressors, and other factors that contribute to what has been termed “consumer fatigue”. This has resulted in a culture of sleep deprivation and burnout, with many consumers relying on caffeine and other stimulants to get through the day. Despite being busy and often feel overwhelmed, this consumer groups is determined to find balance and harmony in their lives. They are inspired by the idea of being able to achieve their goals without sacrificing their well-being, and are willing to invest in products and services that help them manage their time more effectively and reduce stress. They are motivated by the desire to find a sense of calm in the midst of chaos, and are always on the lookout for new ways to simplify their lives and achieve greater harmony.
What’s driving the trend?
This type of consumer has become more prevalent as people strive to keep up with the ever-changing digital world, chronic multitasking, and the need to stay connected 24/7 through social media networks. The resulting overload can leave individuals feeling drained, both mentally and physically, making it difficult for them to effectively cope with daily tasks. In addition, the constant bombardment from marketing messages contributes to a feeling of being “sold” constantly, ultimately leading to decision fatigue among many consumers.
The top three reasons consumers face fatigue are;
1. Increased use of technology: With the advent of smartphones, tablets and other devices, we’re constantly being bombarded with information overload from various sources. This leads to higher levels of stress as people have difficulty keeping up with their commitments in this fast-paced world.
2. Stress: Even with activities like work or studying, people can become overwhelmed by the pressures placed upon them from society or their own expectations. This leads to exhaustion and fatigue which may be hard to overcome without support systems in place such as relaxation techniques.
3. Lack of sleep: Poor sleeping habits play a role in fatigue as well since our bodies need adequate rest in order to function properly throughout the day. Lack of quality sleep can lead to decreased productivity and decision-making ability throughout all aspects of life including work and relationships.
Though fatigue is a real issue for many people, few understand how pervasive and dangerous it can be in their day-to-day lives. Fatigue takes a toll on the body by reducing productivity and decision-making ability; it can even lead to poor physical health if left untreated. What’s more, fatigue is something that affects everyone – young or old, rich or poor – so it’s important to be aware of its potential consequences.
For CPG founders and brand owners, this presents an opportunity to create products that can help consumers manage their fatigue and stress. However, it’s important to understand that not all Mindful Rejuventators are the same. Some are looking for quick fixes, while others are looking for long-term solutions. Some are health-conscious, while others prioritize convenience and taste. Here are some examples of products that are hitting the spot for these consumers;
- Functional Beverages: Functional beverages have become increasingly popular in recent years, as consumers look for drinks that can provide more than just hydration. Products like REBBL’s Wellness Elixir’s featuring a multi-mineral complex in the form of red algae are designed to help consumers boost their wellness and immunity which can be impacted by stress and fatigue.
- Snack Bars: Snack bars are a convenient way for consumers to get a quick boost of energy on the go. However, many traditional snack bars are high in sugar and processed ingredients, which can leave consumers feeling worse in the long run. Brands like R.E.D.D have emerged to offer healthier alternatives, with simple ingredients and minimal processing. R.E.D.D. Bars are made with plant-based protein, superfoods, and adaptogens like maca and ashwagandha. They are also free from artificial flavors and preservatives.
- Ready-to-Serve: Meal kits and ready-to-serve meals have become a popular option for busy consumers who want to eat healthy but don’t have time to cook. The Good Kitchen offers a range of ready-to-serve meals that are free from processed ingredients, added sugars, and grains. They use high-quality meats, organic vegetables, and healthy fats to create delicious and satisfying meals that are also paleo-friendly allowing consumers to save time and reduce stress in the kitchen.
- Functional Foods: Functional foods are products that have added health benefits beyond their basic nutritional value. Products like Four Sigmatic Adaptogenic Mushroom Blend is made with adaptogenic mushrooms like reishi and chaga, which can help manage stress and support the immune system. It can be added to coffee, smoothies, or other beverages. Golde Turmeric Tonic blend is made with turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper which can help manage stress and reduce inflammation. It can be added to water or milk for a calming drink.
Additional ways to relate to the Mindful Rejuvenator is via;
- Brand Experience; When it comes to fatigued consumers, businesses should also consider the experience that their brand offers and think about creating a positive and an uplifting brand experience, great tasting products and healthiness that takes some of the weight off the consumer’s tired shoulders.
- Personalization; Brands could also employ personalized strategies to better understand the needs of consumers looking to rejuvenate and tailor their products accordingly. For example, brands that cater to individual dietary needs or preferences can help alleviate some of the stress associated with trying to balance nutrition with fatigue and provide an easy solution that caters to specific individual requirements.
- Business model – although food products can support our overwhelmed lifestyle being over-fatigued requires addressing sleep, stress and, time management. How can you brands support consumers in these areas in a more integrated manner?
In conclusion, the Mindful Rejuvenator consumer group is a growing trend that presents a unique opportunity for start-up CPG brands. Consumers are looking for products that can help them manage stress and increase their energy levels without relying on processed ingredients and sugar. Brands like Four Sigmatic, Golde, R.E.D.D. and REBBL are doing an excellent job of providing healthy, functional products that meet this need. As a consultancy specializing in consumer insights, we can help start-up CPG brands navigate this trend and develop new products that resonate with Mindful Rejuvenators. By understanding their needs and preferences, we can help brands create products and brand experiences that resonate. If you’re interested in launching a new product in this space, please reach out to us to learn more about our services.