With hybrid working models, migration to the suburbs, and an increased focus on health we are seeing new behaviors that are driving demand for 2022. One trend set to remain elevated is selfcare – this is for consumers looking after their wellness in a holistic and preventative way. It’s a lifestyle shift that has been accelerated by the pandemic and sees us looking to invest more time in ourselves and our families, being more aware of the food and drink we consumer and minimizing negative impacts in our life. Consumers are looking for greater product functionality that is science backed and enjoyable ways to enjoy healthful products. Here are some of the innovations we have been trying this month in our local market – the Bay Area. It’s an exciting time to be a consumer!
- What is it? Elderberry Super-Immune SoftMelt Gummies for children aged 1 and above developed by pediatricians
- Why did we like it? These gummies have an amazing texture and taste that my kids loved. They seem to keep their moisture unlike other gummies for kids as they come in a blister sleeve and the product is supported by a White paper that includes researched benefits with references.
- Opportunity? The Childlife Essentials Super-Child Cookies are a great portfolio extension taking this brand into the lunchbox and snacking occasion. The cinnamon flavor is great and the cookies are free of allergens but full of nutrition. I would love to see a healthier bar option from ChildLife Essentials as they seem to do kids products so well.
- Where to buy – Iherb and Amazon
Sourse, San Francisco
What is it? Vitamin infused chocolates with the addition of two new products – Glow Bites and Hype Bites.
Why did we like it? Sourse effectively combine credible clinical research with a delicious treat and has hit on two big trends with their recent launches – Beauty from Within and Mental Wellness. The chocolate base is not only for enjoyment but also its natural properties make it a great format for vitamins because it acts as a pre-biotic which helps good bacteria grow in the gut enhancing the body’s ability to absorb nutrition.
Opportunity? Reading through the reviews, a great source of consumer research, we noticed the taste and enjoyment has won over consumers and it was the same for our experience. However, there seemed to be a concern around value that kept coming up. We didn’t see any information on pack as to ‘why chocolate’ so this could be an opportunity to strengthen the value proposition.
Where can you buy it? Goodeggs
Clover Sonoma Moon Milks, Petaluma
- What is it? We haven’t had a chance to try these products yet as they are still making their way onto shelf this month but they are worth a mention seeing as we are focused on the self care trend this month. Clover have introduced a range of three 2% organic milks that are ayurvedic-inspired. They include a blend of adaptogens, herbs and spices to help the body respond to physical and emotional stressors.
- Why do we like it? We love how this new product meets the consumer on so many levels. Considering the lifestyle shift we are seeing to foster a greater balance between mind, body and spirit these milks offer wellness benefits as well as offering endless occasion opportunities to incorporate the product into existing wellness and consumption rituals. If these taste as good as they look we think Clover is on to a winning product.
- What could be next? It will be interesting to see the traction these products gain and if the consumer is going to make an incremental purchase on top of their existing milk choice. Of course there is the option to add more flavors if the milks prove to be popular but we also wonder if Moon Milks has the potential to become a sub-brand that stretches across Clovers other dairy categories like Ice-cream and yogurt? This is one to watch.
- Where can you buy it? Wholefoods Nationwide and independent retailers this month
Coming Up Next Month
Aligning to the trends driving demand, next month we are going to look at convenient meal options. We’ve already tried the Upton’s Barbeque Jackfruit that we found in Wholefoods and look forward to sharing our thoughts plus more new and noteworthy products.